EcoWaste seeks ban on firecrackers

Elizabeth Marcelo – The Philippine Star

December 2, 2021 | 12:00am

Advertisements

MANILA, Philippines — Environmental watchdog EcoWaste Coalition yesterday renewed its call for a nationwide ban on the sale and use of firecrackers as the Christmas season draws near and amid the threat of the COVID-19 variant Omicron.

“Banning the production, importation, distribution, sale and use of firecrackers will reduce the number of firecracker-related injuries, as well as reduce environmental pollution associated with the New Year revelry,” EcoWaste chemical safety campaigner Thony Dizon said.

“The enforcement of such a measure will also be crucial in light of the threat posed by the new Omicron COVID variant,” Dizon added.

He said the ban on firecrackers would help discourage mass gatherings.

The EcoWaste said local government units should enforce existing ordinances, which prohibit firecrackers during the Christmas and New Year revelries.

“Regardless of the COVID-19 alert level status, we appeal to authorities to aim for drastically reduced injuries, waste and emissions due to the blasting of firecrackers and fireworks during the holidays,” Dizon said.

The group said as proven last year, the nationwide ban on firecrackers reduced the number of firecracker-related injuries and deaths.

“Exposure to toxic pollutants emitted from the bursting of firecrackers and fireworks is dangerous to everyone, especially to the elderly and people with underlying medical conditions, including those afflicted with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, heart ailment, diabetes and other illnesses, as they tend to develop more severe symptoms of COVID-19,” the EcoWaste pointed out.



Source link

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Advertisements
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Share
Instagram
Telegram
Reddit
Tiktok