Government scraps plan to suspend OFW deployment to Saudi

Mayen Jaymalin – The Philippine Star

October 5, 2021 | 12:00am

Advertisements

MANILA, Philippines — The government has scrapped the planned suspension of the deployment of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to Saudi Arabia.

According to Department of Labor and Employment Information and Public Service director Rolly Francia, the DOLE will no longer impose a deployment ban as the two household service workers employed by a retired Saudi Arabian general are returning home soon.

“Hindi na matutuloy ang planong deployment ban,” Francia said at a virtual press briefing yesterday.

The OFWs under the employ of Ayed Al Jeaid will reunite soon with their families, Francia said.

It was reported that Al Jeaid hired 16 OFWs, who have accused him of maltreatment.

Deal with UK

Meanwhile, the Philippine government is forging a new agreement with the United Kingdom to ensure additional benefits and better working conditions for Filipino nurses in the UK.

Francia said the UK Minister of Asia is coming to Manila on Friday for the signing of a memorandum of understanding.

“The agreement covers the benefits and protection of Filipino healthcare professionals to be deployed to UK,” Francia said.

Last week, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello reported that the UK and Philippine governments would sign an agreement for the hiring of more Filipino health workers.

The Philippines previously imposed a cap of 6,500 in the deployment of healthcare workers abroad. The UK was exempted from the policy.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Advertisements