He identified the second fatality as Joselito Jazareno, 54, an electrician at the cold storage facility. His body was found near the surge tank that exploded inside the plant on Wednesday afternoon.
As of 5 a.m. Thursday, a total of 96 people have been hospitalized due to the chemical spill, including the first fatality, Gilbert Tiangco, who was first brought to the Navotas City Hospital.
“All medical expenses of those affected will be shouldered by the company,” Tiangco said in a social media post.
He earlier said the facility was run by his mother’s family.
While the ammonia leak at the ice plant has been contained, Tiangco said it will be closed off indefinitely until it fully carries out the safety measures recommended by the Bureau of Fire Protection.
The city government, meanwhile, will provide counseling to the residents who were affected and earlier evacuated due to the incident.
“We will also ask the BFP and sanitation officers to check the other ice plant and cold storage in the city to ensure their occupational safety standards and environmental compliances,” Tiangco said.
This is the second time that an ammonia leak incident occurred in Navotas this year, according to the BFP.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.