Probe ‘demolition’ cases, ombudsman urged

Rainier Allan Ronda – The Philippine Star

November 29, 2021 | 12:00am

Advertisements

MANILA, Philippines — Former Council for the Welfare of Children (CWC) executive director Mitzi Cajayon-Uy, who was recently acquitted of graft by the Sandiganbayan, wants the Office of the Ombudsman to look into the “demolition job” cases resorted to by candidates during election season.

Uy had resigned as CWC undersecretary to launch her comeback bid as representative of Caloocan City’s 2nd District.

She said she had suffered misery following the filing of a baseless graft complaint against her before the 2016 elections until her acquittal earlier this month.

Uy said ombudsman investigators and prosecutors should be more discerning in looking into the validity of a graft complaint.

“One thing I learned from this experience is that despite the lack of evidence to support the complaint, government officials who have been wrongly accused are made to suffer through the rigors and expense of a full blown trial before the Sandiganbayan,” she said.

“Despite our acquittal, wrongly accused public servants like myself have no available recourse or compensation for the damages we suffered,” Uy added.

According to Uy, the graft case filed against her by the ombudsman had been used by her political rivals while she served at the CWC, an attached agency of the Department of Social Welfare and Development.

“They questioned President Duterte’s decision to appoint me as executive director of the CWC,” Uy said.



Source link

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Advertisements
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Share
Instagram
Telegram
Reddit
Tiktok