Sotto won’t join Ignite Team

Kai Sotto will no longer be able to play for Team Ignite in the ongoing NBA G League season in Orlando, Florida.

Kai Sotto

That’s because of the tough restrictions that the league has imposed with its health and safety protocols which are meant to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

Despite his absence in the games of Team Ignite, the 7’3″ Sotto is still part of the squad, which is made up of elite prospects for the coming NBA rookie draft.

Officials of the G League said this after discussing matters with Sotto and his management team on Tuesday.

The 18-year-old Sotto went  back to the United States last week after spending time in quarantine. 

He earlier came back to the Philippines, with hopes of playing for the Gilas Pilipinas national men’s basketball team.

 The final window of the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup Qualifiers in Doha, Qatar and Manama, Bahrain, where Gilas was slated to play, was however, called off.

 Before Sotto left the US, Team Ignite was already in the middle of preparations for the ongoing season which began early this month.

 “Kai and the team both understood the challenges for him to rejoin Ignite given the current international travel constraints, quarantine times and health and safety protocols,” said NBA G League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim in a statement.

 Sotto had been training with Team Ignite under coach Brian Shaw since last year.

 Abdur-Rahin hinted that the door is still open for him to continue training for Ignite.

“Kai will always be part of the extended Ignite family and we wish him continued success as he pursues his NBA dreams,” stated Abdur-Rahim.

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.

Source link

SHARE ME PLEASE!
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply