Tiger makes digital return in golf video game deal

New York—Tiger Woods, a 15-time major champion recovering from injuries suffered last month in a car crash, is making a comeback in golfing video games, announcing a new deal Tuesday with 2K.

Tiger makes digital return in golf video game deal
Tiger Woods, a 15-time major champion recovering from injuries suffered last month in a car crash, is making a comeback in golfing videogames, announcing a new deal on March 16, 2021 with 2K. AFP

The company and Woods have agreed upon a long-term exclusive partnership and 2K announced it has struck a deal to obtain HB Studios, developers of the PGA Tour 2K21 as well as The Golf Club franchise.

Woods has won 82 PGA Tour titles, level with Sam Snead for the all-time record, and had partnered with EA Sports on one of the most successful golf video games ever created for 15 years before the deal ended in 2013.

Woods suffered career-threatening leg injuries in an accident last month in California.

“I am looking forward to making my return to the video game landscape, and with 2K and HB Studios, I’ve found the right partners to make it happen,” Woods said in a statement.

“I’m honored to take part in this opportunity and look forward to sharing my expertise and insights as we build the future of golf video games together.”

The partnership includes rights to use Woods’s name and likeness to appear exclusively in the PGA Tour 2K franchise and other games. Woods will serve as an executive director and consultant with PGA Tour 2K. 

Meanwhile, Woods said Tuesday he has left hospital and is recovering at home after being seriously injured in a car crash in Los Angeles last month.

In a statement released on social media, the golf superstar thanked hospital staff who cared for him following his single vehicle car accident on February 23.

“Happy to report that I am back home and continuing my recovery,” Woods said. “I am so grateful for the outpouring of support and encouragement that I have received over the past few weeks.”

“Thank you to the incredible surgeons, doctors, nurses and staff at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. You have all taken such great care of me and I cannot thank you enough,” he added. “I will be recovering at home and working on getting stronger every day.”

Woods suffered serious injuries when his car flew off the road and flipped several times during last month’s accident.

The 45-year-old 15-time major champion later underwent hours of surgery to repair his shattered lower right leg and ankle, which included the insertion of a rod into his tibia and the use of screws and pins to stabilise the joint.

‘Purely an accident’

Woods faces a lengthy recovery from his injuries, which included open fractures affecting his right leg, raising questions over his future playing career which has also included 82 tour victories.

Woods was already recovering from his fifth back surgery — and hoping he would be able to prepare for a run at the Masters in April — when the crash occurred.

Investigators in Los Angeles have said Woods does not face charges of reckless driving over the crash, describing it as “purely an accident” and adding there was no evidence of impairment.

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.

Source link

SHARE ME PLEASE!
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply